Basic job description:
A substitute teacher assumes the responsibilities of a regular teacher when the regular teacher is absent. During that time, the substitute teacher imparts knowledge and provides instruction, just like regular teachers. But they work either for only a few days at a time or when the regular teacher is away on extended leaves, like a vacation.
Substitute teachers use lesson plans, assign class work and homework, keep the class in order. They often work in new places, with new students. This is both a pleasure and a responsibility.
Here is a free template you can customize for writing your resume draft.
After reading this sample, you may be interested in combining other resume drafts: Teacher Assistant Resume and and Teaching Assistant resume samples.
Substitute Teacher Resume Example
[Street, City, State, Zip] | [Phone] [Email Address]
Substitute teacher offering many years of experience and life dedication to the teaching role. Core qualifications include:
- Familiarity with all subjects of instruction required.
- Fairness: Ability to establish an evenhanded and ethical atmosphere for all students.
- Ability to work with lesson plans established by primary teacher.
- Versatility in methods of instruction and ability to adapt quickly.
- Flexibility: Ability to adapt to new environments and to the students as individuals.
- Ability to adapt lesson plan/instruction techniques for students with special needs.
- Familiarity with theories and practices of education and child development.
- Ability to properly handle misconduct.
Key Skills and Core Competencies
- Promoting best performance in academic and social endeavors
- Cultural awareness regarding cultural diversity in class
- Positive attitude toward children and parents
- Time management: Especially the ability to use class time effectively.
- Superior communication skills, especially verbal
- Interpersonal and team building skills
- Problem solving abilities
- Knowledge of emergency procedures (in case of injuries, fire, earthquake)
- Relevant formal training, practice and experience
Objective Statement – As an experienced substitute teacher, I bring flexibility and versatility to my work, with the ability to pick up material from anywhere and motivate classes towards success.
Substitute Teacher ABC Public Schools New-York, NY 2003 – Present
Highlights of Performance:
- Taught [one or more] of these: English, math, social sciences, citizenship, art, music…
- Prepared class materials, such as: …
- Employed lecture, demonstration, and discussion teaching methods in class.
- Demonstrated and reinforced social standards of behavior – Established norms of class behavior and maintained order at all times.
- Reinforced skills such as independence, problem solving, and goal setting.
- Implemented XYZ special-education methods.
- Followed policies and regulations in keeping progress notes and student records, and in making the necessary reports – Performed regular progress monitoring and completed any necessary quarterly reports.
- Cooperated with regular-education staff when necessary.
- Maintained office hours for instruction and conferencing.
- Responded to emails within 24 hrs and offered home visits.
- Provided parents with schedules and agendas.
- Consulted parents, professionals, and administration to create individualized programs.
- BA or B.Sc. or associate degree in early childhood education, mastery of: history, languages/English, art, citizenship, literature, sociology…
- High-school diploma (or GED)
Sample Resumes for Teaching Positions