Most entry level positions in law enforcement are patrol officers, traffic regulators, or office assistants.
Although these duties do not sound attractive, working in law enforcement offers:
1. Stability and predictability as compared to other professions,
2. Long term secured position, and most importantly,
A police officer advances his or her career based on years of experience and standard annual performance appraisals.
This article suggests 20 job interview questions for law enforcement entry level applicants.
After reading this article, you may be interested in reading the article,
“Police officer interview questions and answers.”
20 Interview Questions
for Law Enforcement Positions
- Why do you want to be a police officer? What motivates you about a career in law enforcement?
- What education or training have you undertaken that makes you fit for this position?
- Do you have volunteering experience? How did this experience prepare you to be a police officer?
- Do you have any allergies or medical conditions that would hamper your job as a police officer?
- What do you think is the role of the law enforcement department?
- What is the most important aspect of being a police officer?
- What are the key values of a police officer and how do you demonstrate these values?
- What are conversation impressions other than words? How do you use these to communicate effectively with others?
- What are the techniques that you use to clarify meanings of vague messages?
- Have you ever taken initiatives to solve problems that where beyond your responsibilities?
- How frequently do you support others and get support from others?
- What is the importance of building relationships with colleges to your professional life?
- How do you cope with stressful situations in general?
- Describe a situation when you had to direct others.
- What practices do you implement during situations of conflict and are they successful?
- Give an example of a mistake you made. What did you learn from that mistake?
- Do you have an example of a situation when you followed strict rules to complete a task?
- Give me a situation of efficient teamwork. Why did this situation require efficient team work?
- Give me an example of a situation when you helped someone.
- Do you need to learn anything new that is related to police duties? What are your development needs?
Job Interviews for Law & Security Positions