The general responsibility of help desk personnel is to provide customer support services for the firm.
He or she must be capable of troubleshooting technical problems and providing solutions to customers.
If you are applying for this position, your experience in diagnosing and resolving technical issues using standard help desk procedures and tracking applications will prove most useful. Additionally, if you have kept up with system information knowledge and updates, those habits can help you land a job.
A working knowledge of fundamental operations of relevant software, hardware and other products is very important. There are many similarities and therefore familiarity with one will assist you in becoming familiar with the next.
Additionally, one may be required to provide training to other or new help desk employees in various areas of the company.
This article provides help desk support interview questions for: IT support, computer support and help desk analyst. The article also provides general questions.
After reading this article, refer to the articles:
Job Interview Questions for Help Desk
- How did you hear about our products and company?
- Do you use any of our products or similar products/competitors?
- Would you say that you are hands-on type of person?
- What is your expected typical time spent on an average call?
- Have you ever dealt with service and warranty centers?
- How would you describe your interpersonal communication skills?
- Have you ever had to deal with an extremely difficult customer/caller? How did you handle the situation? What do you do to de-stress?
- Have you ever been unable to help a customer or diagnose their technical problem? What did you do? Was it because you did not have the right information to solve the problem or issue?
- Have you ever had a customer get very angry? How did you handle the situation?
- Have you ever been unable to solve a help desk call?
- If the customer requires knowledge of a product you do not have, how would you respond?
- Would you describe yourself as organized?
- When you see a call is taking too long what did you do?
- How do you work as part of a help desk team to solve a problem?
- Do you solve problems better as a team member or individually?
- Can you describe a time when you worked with other help desk personnel to solve a problem or issue for a customer? Was it satisfying for you to be a part of that team?
Answering the above questions:
Basic problem solving and the ability to overcome and handle a stressful customer or situation will highlight your skills.
Most of these questions will focus on how self-motivated you are. In this area, you will be dealing with customers on a personal basis.
Therefore, not only your technical knowledge is important, but also your customer service skills – helping a customer whatever the situation could be.
Past situations in which you were successful should be prepared and practiced giving strengths to your problem solving skills.
Technical Support Help Desk Interview
Refer to the article technical support interview questions and answers.
IT help-desk interview questions
Computer Help Desk Questions
- What IT help desk tools have you used in the past?
- What types of software applications and networking programs tools do you use? Can you list different IT products and your knowledge of these?
- Have you ever been responsible for maintaining a network setting? What was the base size, and expectations?
- Describe your IT trouble shooting procedure.
- What programs have you used to log and date calls?
- Describe you experience in: firewalls, spy ware detection and virus ware implementation.
- Describe your knowledge in: PC hardware and operating systems.
Answering these questions:
If you are applying for these help desk positions, you may have vast IT and computer knowledge – you must have mastered your skills on many products.
Therefore, display that no given situation too complicated.
You should present not only your knowledge of certain operating systems and IT products, but also your trouble shooting abilities must be on a ground level.
Help Desk Analyst Interview Questions
- How have you built knowledge of products and services?
- What type of process discipline do you use?
- What communicating and networking systems are you familiar with?
- Have you ever used SAP or similar system?
- How do you manage and organize several departments? How do you monitor these departments?
- What type of systems development skills do you possess?
- What are your administrative practices?
- Have you noticed some product-issues that you perceive could cause possible calls by end users/ customers?
- What steps do you take when handling an awkward call such as when the caller is concerned with their warranty or asking for a return or refund?
- Are you familiar with service manuals/schematics and how do you use them?
- What if a warranty has expired and a customer demands a no-charge repair?
- A customer could damage a product and expect the company to fix or replace it. How would you handle this situation?
- Are you able to study manuals and take computer tutorials on your own?
Answer: Your responses will be individual, according to your educational background and job experience. Review these questions, and compose answers, alone or with a friend. Rehearse your responses. If an interviewer asks you a question you did not expect, take a minute to compose your thoughts; if possible, find a connection to what you are prepared to say. Then elaborate very briefly on the connection and add in your prepared answer.
In responding, you want to demonstrate your leadership and teaching skills. as well as a diverse knowledge of Help Desk practices.
Ensure you have certifications of any classes or programs you have attended in your portfolio.
Understanding the basic need of the jobs listed above will play a key role in landing this type of position.
Customer Support Job Interviews