Financial analysts, also called investment analysts, business analysts or business advisors, usually analyze financial data to provide business analysis suggestions and to prepare assessment reports using the data gathered.
They may find employment in banking, corporate, insurance companies as well as small and large businesses.
Many financial analysts advise institutions on sales, project budgets, cash flow and financial investments such as stocks, bonds and real estate.
Educational requirements for financial analyst positions include: bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, accounting or economics.
Master’s degree in finance or business administration is preferable.
Clearly, career options for financial analysts are unlimited and may lead to working in top banks and business institutions.
Job Interview Questions for a Financial Analyst
► Technical Questions
- Can you explain quarterly forecasting, updating revenue and expense models?
- Describe projects in which you have implemented these skills.
- In conjunction with these projects how do you execute input of detailed plans and forecast into the financial systems?
- Describe how you coordinate plan transfers.
- Are you familiar with creating daily sales reports?
- What processes do you use to create reports?
- Have you created month-end sales reports?
- Have these reports involved your knowledge of analysis concerning actual and planned revenues, balance sheets and expenses?
- Can you describe the practices you use for analysis of financial and management reporting?
- Do you have experience in annual planning processes?
- What profitability models have you used for forecasting a project?
- Are you familiar with developing business casing and ad hoc analysis?
- How would you maintain this information throughout a project?
- Have you ever worked on a budget for an expansion program?
- Describe a project; what financial practices did you target?
- How do you relate with program administrators and financial personnel?
- Do you compile and share monthly data involving income, investment, sales forecasting, shipments and cash flow reports?
- What long range plans have you implemented for the firm?
- Are your accounting and knowledge of financial systems abilities used to integrate profit/loss reports?
- Have you been responsible for maintaining a financial system database?
- Have you ever prepared work force reviews?
► Technical Tasks Questions
- What computer systems would you use to prepare illustrated technical reports using graphs, spreadsheets and draw charts?
- What various securities in this industry are you familiar with and how would you compare and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses?
- How do you interpret data concerning investment programs?
- Can you define price yields, stability economic influences, future trends and investment risks?
- How do you acquire knowledge of developments in the field of industrial technologies?
- Can you relate some basic business, finance and economic theories?
- What monitoring skills do you possess involving economic, corporate and industrial developments?
- What steps do you take when preparing plans of action for financial analysis?
- Have you presented oral or written reports on entire industries, individual corporations or economic trends?
- Can you describe some recommendations you have to companies or individuals concerning investment procedures?
- How do you attract new corporate clients?
Finance / Accounting Job Interviews