The qualification section is a short, yet eye-catching paragraph at the very beginning of a resume in which you outline your qualifications for a specific job or field.
The summary of qualifications in your resume is the best way to describe your qualifications, if you have years of experience in your field. Think of this section as a showcase.
Rather than scattering your key capacities throughout the resume body, in this paragraph you actually bring your best competencies “to the table”, convincing potential hiring managers to further read your resume.
Therefore, each sentence should briefly showcase your skills, experience and achievements in the most creative way possible.
This article provides examples of qualifications for a resume and gives tips on writing the qualification summary section.
Here is an example:
Your qualification summary can be titled in the resume in various ways. Some recommended titles for this section may be:
• Professional Qualifications
• Key Features
• Professional Profile
• Summary of Qualifications
• Career Summary
The first sentence in the qualification paragraph usually states the years of experience/expertise in a field. The next sentences are career highlights including greatest/most impressive achievements and skills acquired over years of work.
An effective way to present your qualifications is to use action verbs at the beginning of sentences. Action verbs make it easy for the reader to evaluate matches between your skills and the job requirements.
Here are examples:
Accomplished, Achieved, Improved, Affected, Constructed, Delivered, Changed, Adapted, Adjusted, Advanced, Coached, Assigned, Awarded, Contacted, Exceeded, Executed, Completed, Decreased, Increased, Reduced, Enhanced, Enlarged, Established, Influenced, Initiated, Innovated, Inspired, Proved, Reached, Succeeded, Motivated, Originated.
Further reading – Action Verbs for Resumes.
List of Qualifications for Resume – Qualifications Samples
Here are sample of qualifications for resume:
• Over 20 years of in-depth experience in the interior design industry.
• Improved the accuracy of budget forecasts.
• Established good working relationships with customers/clients.
• Developed new quality standards for better quality performance and reliability.
• Improved support service level by 20%.
• A well-known professional architect with 25 years’ experience in the industry.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and work under extreme work pressure, heavy work load and deadlines.
• Strong personal communications skills with [ABC] .
• A leader in managing cross company teams efforts through effective and motivating mentoring strategies.
• Developed the product troubleshooting procedure for XYZ company with strong attention to detail.
• Reduced costs from $x to $y by employing [ABC] management process.
• Led the development of [product, service] during a period of [x] years.
• Developed and implemented the concept for [ABC] team of scientists/doctorates.
• School Teacher with strong dedication to children’s development and to their educational needs.
• Encouraged creativity and higher-order thinking to increase children’s performance.
• Utilized modern teaching methods such as e-learning and team learning.
• Managed projects with a pre-allocated annual budget of 8-10 million and achieved project goals.
Summary of Qualifications – Sample Skill Sets for Resumes
You may consider listing your skill sets at the end of the qualifications section, such as:
• Strong verbal and personal communication skills.
• Decision making, critical thinking.
• Self-motivated, initiative, maintains a high level of energy.
• Accuracy and Attention to details.
• Tolerant and flexible, adjusts to different situations.
• Organization and prioritization skills.
• Problem analysis, use of judgment and ability to solve problems efficiently.