The secret of success in life and in interviewing is preparation.
It’s a good idea to anticipate just about any type of question that might come up, and have a response prepared. The best way to do that is to practice job interview questions and your responses.
Here’s a good selection of job interview practice questions that can help you prepare for your interview.
Questions to Practice for the Mock Interview
1. Basic Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- What was it that attracted you to our company?
- Tell me when you were most satisfied in your career/job.
- Tell me what your strengths are.
- What do you feel your weaknesses are?
- What can you do for the company that another candidate can’t?
- What do you know about our company?
- Why are you leaving your current place of employment?
2. Salary Questions:
- What salary are you looking for?
- If we gave you the salary you wanted and asked you to write your job description for the following year, what would that job description say?
3. Career Development Questions:
- If you were hired for this job what would your goals be?
- What are your plans and aspirations in terms of your career development?
4. Behavioral Interview Questions:
- Have you been part of a team where a member wasn’t pulling their weight? How did you deal with the situation?
- Tell me about an incident where you had to give feedback that was difficult. How did you handle the situation?
- Tell me about a time you went beyond your required duties at work.
- What would you consider your greatest failure? Can you tell me what you feel you learned from it?
- If you discovered your employer was doing something illegal, what would you do?
5. Getting Started in the Job Questions:
- How long do you feel it will take before you make a significant contribution to the company?
- If we choose you for the position what is your strategy for the first 90 days?
- Being the new team member, what would you do to quickly establish credibility?
- If I were your supervisor and you disagreed with something I asked you to do, how would you handle the situation?
6. More Questions about You:
- What are your long term plans?
- Give me a few examples of ideas you’ve had, and if you implemented them, how did you proceed?
- How do you keep yourself organized?
- Who would you say has most impacted your career and how?
- Do you think a leader should be liked or feared?
- What do you think of your previous boss?
- Can you think of one person in your career that made a big difference?
- What kind of personality do you feel you work best with? Why?
- What would you say you are most proud of?
- Who is your hero? Do you have more than one?
- Tell me two positive comments your last boss would say about you.
- What negative remark would you say about your last boss?
- List four words that best describe your character.
- What do you feel are the qualities of a good leader? A bad leader?
- If your supervisor knew less than you, how would you feel about this?
- What magazines do you subscribe to?
- What is the last book you read?
Read Further about conducting a Mock Interview, this series of articles contains:
Next: 4. Evaluation ->