When writing your resume, whenever you find it possible, list your greatest achievements rather than listing roles, tasks or responsibilities.
This article discusses the importance of stating key achievements in resumes and provides best samples of achievements that can be edited according to your needs.
1. Quantify your achievements
If possible, apply specific numbers to any listed achievement.
It is because numbers project transparency and something that can be measures – A measured indication for a success.
- If you saved time, write how much time you saved – Time is money.
- If you improved annual sales, provide figures to showcase the revenue increase.
- If you improved QA, provide numbers – good quality saves money.
Therefore, when listing your resume achievements, use numbers or percentages to describe them.
2. Show Progress
The section which lists achievement in a resume (professional experience mostly), has to show a progress or an enhancement, such as:
- An organizational problem that you solved.
- Any initiative that led to constant benefits, high revenues or improved quality.
- Any positive difference that you made in sales numbers, costs and profits?
- Any successful project that increased the reputation of the company.
3. Use action verbs
Action verbs are powerful words when it comes to present energy, motivation and efficiency. However, try not to repeat the same action verb twice or to use synonyms in the same sentence, like: developed and designed, improved and enhanced etc.
Examples of action verbs can be found in: Action Verbs for Resumes.
Sample Resume Achievements – Key Achievements for Resumes
1. Saved $15 million annually by reducing fixed spending 10% and variable overhead spending 19% through a variety of cost-improvement initiatives through better utilization of resources.
2. Reduced Workers’ Compensation costs 40% ($700,000 annually) by improving safety plans and implementing employee training, management accountability and equipment security.
3. Led corporate team in driving cost-reduction initiatives that resulted in $21 million saved over three years through capital infusion and process automation.
4. Managed Windows 2000/2003 upgrade of 200 servers to specific Exxon Mobil security standards.
5. Improved the accuracy of budget forecasts.
6. Established good working relationships with customers/clients.
7. Developed and implemented client service program, which expanded small-to-medium client base 35%
8. Developed new quality standards for better quality performance and reliability.
9. Improve support service level by 20%.
10. Developed the product troubleshooting procedure for XYZ company with strong attention to detail.
11. Developed and implemented the concept for [ABC] team of scientists/doctorates.
12. Utilized modern teaching methods such as e-learning and team learning.
13. Managed 8 -10 million budget projects and achieved project scheduled goals.
14. Developed and implemented bank’s enhanced automated teller machine system.
15. Cut product replacement cost by 50% and increased on-time delivery from 80% to 95% using Kaizen approach to quality issues rooted in manufacturing.
16. Improved customer service satisfaction 3% annually through supply chain management initiatives, inventory control and flexible manufacturing practices.
17. Trimmed manufacturing and shipping-related credits to customers from 1.04% to .5% of total sales in 2008, representing an annual $1.9 million reduction.
18. Expanded business development to include deposits and loans, which increased loan business 25%.
19. Developed and implemented indirect lending program, which filled a need as identified by customer feedback.
20. Closed the largest network integration sale ever, scored a competitive win-back from a major competitor, and sold an ISDN data network to a major customer with 150 sites.
21. Offered plans for enhancement in which children are encouraged to be engaged in the learning process.
22. Identified and utilized variety of learning materials, resources and technology methods [such as: Internet-learning, library, team learning] to support & improve the instructional environment.
Don’t miss reading: