Employers would like to evaluate 3 types of skills when hiring employees: Content Skills, Functional Skills, and Self Management Skills:
- Content skill is the amount of knowledge (qualifications and experience) the candidate possesses in a certain field.
- Functional Skills are people-oriented skills such as communicating, organizing and managing.
- Self Management Skills are your personal characteristics such as helper, self-learner, multi-tasker etc.
Based on the job description, you can include a skills section in your resume to specify your personal and/or technical skills.
Here are examples:
Sample Key Personal Skills
Key Skills for Project Manager
- An experienced team leader with the ability to initiate/manage cross-functional teams and multi-disciplinary projects
- Critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills
- Planning and organizing
- Excellent Personal Communication skills
General management skills
- Persuasion, leadership, negotiation and delegation skills
- Conflict resolution
- Tolerance for stressful situations
Key Skills for Teachers
- Self motivated
- Possesses initiative and highly energetic
- Strong verbal and personal communication skills
- Decision making, critical thinking, organizing and planning
- Tolerant and flexible in different situations
Key Skills for Accounting
- Analytical thinking, planning
- Accuracy and Attention to details
- Organization and prioritization skills
- Problem analysis, use of judgment and ability to solve problems efficiently
Key Skills for Customer Service
- Strong communication skills
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Organizational skills and customer service orientation
- Adaptability and ability to work under pressure
Here are two examples of technical skills.
This particular candidate is a software engineer (see how many industrial keywords are written here).
- Languages: C#, C++, ASP.NET, SQL, PHP, HTML, Java Script, XML
- Softwares: InstallShield, Visio, CruiseControl.NET, Flash, Dreamweaver
- Platforms: Windows Vista, XP, 2003 and UNIX
- Databases: SQL Server 2000 & 2005, MS Access
- Version Controls: Visual SourceSafe
This particular candidate is a senior software engineer.
- Development: Visual Studio 2003-2008, Eclipse, C++, C#, .NET 2.0 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), MFC, COM, DCOM, ATL, DirectShow, DirectDraw, Win32 SDK, Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM), GUI, Trolltech QT, Unicode, Multi-Threading , NT Service development , InstallShield, SVN
- Protocols: TCP/IP, UDP/IP Socket Connections, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, DMI, SNMP, Louth, Sony and Leitch control, XML
- Database: Access, MS SQL, OLE DB, Sqlite
- Encoding: AVI, YUV, MPEG, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
- Encoders: Cerify, Digital Rapids, Rhozet Carbon Coder, IPV SpectreView
- Platforms: Windows, Linux