A supervisor fills a very important function in the corporate world. As the title implies, he must supervise the entire manufacturing/service process and ensures that the deliverables are delivered within the specific time frame and per desired quality.
It is of utmost importance that you handled these supervisor job interview questions with ease and perfection.
Failure to answer these possible interview questions will give the interviewer an idea that you are not comfortable handling a team or that you may have difficulties in leading a team effectively. In your responses, stress your qualities vis-à-vis responsibility, leadership, management, decision making, attention to detail, punctuality,
Supervisor Job Interview Questions
Sample/frequently asked questions:
1. Management Methods
- Tell us something about your management styles and how it developed.
- What is the management style that you generally follow?
- Under what circumstances do you utilize other methods?
- If your team-workers and coworkers were interviewed, what would they say are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What makes a good superior according to you?
- What would you term the single most necessary quality that produces a good supervisor?
- What are some of the motivations of a supervisor? What are your motivations?
► Answer: Speak about different styles of management that you have observed and admired. Describe how you have attempted to shape your style, using your abilities, and selecting the processes with which you felt you could achieve the most. Admiring others’ accomplishments allows you to speak about yours as well, in a non-conceited manner. When discussing strengths and weaknesses, use the sandwich technique. List a few strengths, mention a weakness briefly, and conclude with more positive attributes. It is not necessary to list more than one weakness. If applicable, you may explain what steps you are taking to overcome it.
2. Team Leadership
- Tell us something about your interpersonal skills. How will they prove useful in the position you have applied for?
- How can specific goals be met? Is there anything that you have in mind to motivate your workers? What would be the techniques that you would use?
- What would those you have supervised say about you?
- What are the foremost factors that are crucial for a team to work effectively?
- Have employees in your group ever over performed and exceeded their goals? What would you attribute this to?
- All new employees have a tough time getting to know others in the office. What is your strategy to make them feel welcome?
► Answer: Take some time – consult with colleagues – and list the top successes of any of your teams throughout you job experience. Prepare a brief rendition of the best. Emphasize your role, and how your good qualities generated these successes. Discuss methods for good communication, companionship, team mentality, and pride in workmanship. Do not memorize your responses, but rehearse them so that you can speak smoothly.
3. Work Philosophy
- What is the professional attitude of the team you presently work with?
- Can you suggest any changes that could improve the current viewpoint?
- Describe the work environment in which you have generated the most success.
- What are some components of the manner in which you demonstrate your value addition to the atmosphere of your organization and work environment?
- What are factors that are crucial within an organization? Why must these be present for you to work most effectively?
- What is the single most crucial thing that a company should possess to retain their employees?
- Have you ever advised another supervisor about an errant employee or process? Was your suggestion implemented? How successful was your idea? Can you provide more examples?
► Answer: Speak about your philosophy and how it developed. Reference courses taken and inspiring instructors articles or books, or on-the-job role models. Describe steps you are taking to improve and develop your personal style. When speaking about other supervisors, minimize critical remarks. Speak in a non-judgmental manner, explaining how a judgment error or some such caused a problem. Nasty remarks will reflect poorly on you and your employee attitude.
4. More Resources on the Site:
The blog is loaded with many articles for guiding your responses to these questions. Please browse to the following categories for more information –
Some selected articles for supervisors would be –
- The Qualities of a Good Supervisor : The article discusses factors that make any supervisor a better supervisor.
- What are the Qualities of a Good Leader?This article focuses on providing qualities imperative for a productive leader.
- Good Manager: Qualities of a Good Manager: What makes a good manager? What are the qualities of a good manager? How can one become a good manager?
- How to Be a Good Manager and a Good Leader? : The article provides 8 keys to being a good manager plus tips on being a good manager and leader.
- How Do You Motivate Employees? : Why is it so important to motivate employees in the workplace? Do you have any ideas of motivating employees? How Do You Motivate Employees? Read this article to get some helpful answers.
Executives Job Interviews