You may be a very bright person, you may have great ideas, and you may be just what an employer is looking for.
However, if you are unable to articulate your thoughts and ideas you are likely going to be looked over when it comes time to choosing a candidate to hire. Read on to find out how to improve listening abilities and speaking skills.
Public Speaking Skills
When it comes to public speaking the biggest challenge for most people is finding a way to move past the fear that comes with having to public speak. Here are a few techniques to improve your public speaking skills.
1. Rehearsing: 95% of your public speaking success occurs before your presentation. If you don’t rehearse enough, you are going to be nervous, make mistakes, and fumble your speech. With enough rehearsing, you can reduce your nervousness by 75%.
2. Your close: Memorize your opening and your close. What your audience is going to remember is your close so make it a good one.
3. Tailoring: Organize your speech and make sure the purpose is defined. Why are you giving the speech? Why is the audience here? Is it a community group? A sales personal group? A technical group? Tailor your message to your audience.
How to Improve your Speaking Skills
It goes without saying that being able to effectively communicate goes beyond public speaking.
It’s part of our day to day lives. Every day we communicate with our family, customers, peers, coworkers, supervisors, and clients. Our verbal skills are keys to good communication.
Let’s look at some things you can do to improve your speaking skills.
1. Developing Your Voice – a high soft voice or a high whiney voice won’t be taken seriously or given the authority they should. Use exercises to help lower your voice’s pitch.
2. Slow Down – Practice slowing down your speech. This is one of the hardest things to do but it is key if you want to improve speaking skills. When we are nervous, we tend to speak faster and then your audience will have trouble understanding you. Rehearse with this in mind.
3. Learn to Enunciate Your Words – It’s important that you speak clearly and don’t mumble. It’s also important that you pronounce words correctly.
4. Body Language – Body language is important to your message. Even small hand gestures can be important to how your message is delivered.
How to Improve English Speaking Skills
You can improve English speaking skills to improve your ability to communicate effectively and make you a self-assured English speaker. Here’re some good tips for improvement in this area.
1. Practice, Practice, Practice – You’ll only really become a better English speaker if you practice a lot, so practice wherever and whenever you can.
2. Experiment with What You Know – Use the words and phrases you already have in your vocabulary in a different context to become a more effective English speaker
3. Build Your Confidence – Learning how to construct simple English sentences that will communicate your message effectively.
Improving Listening and Speaking Skills
There are three basic components to improving your listening and speaking skills.
Listen, understand, and judge. To ensure you’ve heard the message correctly repeat it back to the other party. Once you understand the message, you must decide if you believe what you’ve heard and react accordingly.
Further readings – improving speaking and listening skills.