This article provides frequently asked job interview questions for a software engineer position, with tips on how to answer.
General job description and responsibilities:
- Software engineers plan and develop new technologies; applications interfaces and software systems. They analyze and suggest modification of existing software after evaluating its performance.
- They design and/or upgrade application interfaces to improve performance.
- Software engineering professionals advise customers on software projects, functionality, technical application issues, new development, and software maintenance routine.
The common job titles for software engineering may be: Senior Software Engineer, Software Programmer, Software Developer, Software Designer, Application Developer, Application Engineer, Embedded Software Engineer, Web Developer, C++ Developer, Java Developer, Java Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer, or QA Engineer. Software engineering consultants often specialize in more than one of these areas.
Job Interview Questions and Answers
- Describe the life-cycle of a software development (application design) process.
- What software languages have you used to design, develop, and debug software application interfaces?
- Explain the software analysis process, such as code analysis, code metrics, and system risk analysis or software reliability.
- What type of software simulator and developer have you used?
- If you’ve integrated new software in an existing system, tell us how you evaluated and identified the requirements for this new technology.
- Have you designed UI, user interface?
- Have you developed software testing procedures for new systems and performed QA, quality assurance, or audits?
► Answering the above questions:
Tell the interviewer what steps you take to analyze the user requirements; how you evaluate the software needs and assess its functionality. What are your principles and measurements for software modification? Describe how you research, develop, and write new software programs. How do you integrate old software platforms with new ones? Explain how you keep up to date with new technologies? What are your methods for investigating new technologies?
IT/ Technology Job Interviews