The product manager is responsible for managing the entire process of the product road-map implementation. At the first phase of the product, s/he analyzes product requirements, defines its specifications, and prepares the product’s business plan. S/he also leads the development of the product to ensure that all requirements have been addressed before it is put into mass production and launching/marketing. The last process is to implement the marketing strategy down to every detail and monitor product performance. This position involves many duties as it requires interacting with cross company functions, employees, departments, customers, and outsourcers.
Because the product manager serves as the focal point of the product, the interview questions of the product/marketing manager are quite complex and tough. This article suggests questions and answers for product marketing manager positions.
Job Interview Questions for Product Managers
- Give an example of a product lifecycle. Specify stages such as market research, development, documentation, mass production, launching, marketing, branding, services, etc.
- Take me through how you’ve defined and managed a product from start to finish.
- Describe a new product market research. Go through its value proposition, target customers, and competitive analysis, to the product’s positioning strategy.
- How do you measure product success?
- How do you decide on the product pricing strategy? What are the factors you consider the most?
- Would you change product pricing according to market needs, competitors, or profits/losses?
- How would you increase clients’ satisfaction?
- Give an example of an innovative idea/solution you’ve identified and implemented.
- Would you modify/correct business priorities for a product (features, marketing, etc.) for any new condition that arises that you haven’t considered before?
- What are the differences between Waterfall and Agile development techniques?
- Have you had a situation in which a product went over its budget and timeline? How have you handled this case and what did you learn?
- Tell us the steps you take to obtain feedback from clients and integrate relevant requirements into the company’s products.
How to answer the above questions
The interviewer wants to learn about your experience on ‘leading’ a product. He or she wants to observe your skills and experience on taking a new product from the very beginning of a vision to its execution, leading it to success.
You should present your leadership and management style – the way you defined, influenced, managed, and implemented the marketing process of a product. Therefore, the best way to answer the above questions is to take examples of your favorite products and discuss their key milestones.
Don’t forget to mention obstacles you’ve faced (and managed to overcome) and list your achievements.
You need to convince the employer on your abilities to:
- thoroughly learn/understand the functional/technical aspects of a complex system;
- thoroughly learn/understand the market needs through performing market analysis;
- support/coach other company staff, such as R&D, sales, support/service, and financial/logistic departments;
- be a proactive, self-motivated, and goal oriented person.
- Project manager interview questions and answers
- Management interview questions
- Leadership interview
- Marketing interview questions
- And other articles located in the “management skills interview” directory.
Marketing Job Interviews