A job references page is an important part of any job search process.
It would be wise to create a separate page in a resume and include a list of references, that is only if the references list is impressive, containing – CEOs, high level executives, professors, famous politicians etc.
Otherwise, one has to get ready to provide his/her references list upon request during a job interview.
You may or may not include the phrase – “References available upon request” in you resume.
I’d recommend you avoid writing this phrase, it is not necessary – Obviously, you are going to give the references list, in case the employer is interested.. aren’t you?
This article provides examples of job references and discusses how to write a job reference – The format of the sheet.
How to Format a List of Job References
The job references format is a simple layout –
- A separate page
- Microsoft Word document
- One single paper – a separate piece of paper
- Letter-head that includes your contact details – in case it gets separated from your resume.
- Entitle this page – “Professional References list ” or “List of References”.
- Standard fonts, font size – 12
For each reference, include:
- Bold: Reference name, company, their job title/position
- City, State, Country
- Office Phone number: with the area code
- Cell Phone number
- Email address
Then, go ahead to the next reference, examples are listed below.
Writing Job References – Information
How many references to include? What is the standard?
As a ‘rule of thumb’:
- Select three to four of your best references.
- Choose people whom you have worked with in your professional past, such as: managers, supervisors, customers and even colleagues??.
- List only professional references and not personal references.
About Your Job References – Tips
- Make sure you contact your references and ask for permission to include them on your list.
- Tell them about the positions you are applying for
- Send them your resume – highlight your skills, qualifications and objectives.
- Keep them updated on your job search.
- Give them some preparation time prior to the phone call from an employer.
Job Reference: Examples of Job References List
Below is a sample template for a job reference list:
Moshe Levi, “contact details”
Professional References List
Barack Obama, US Gov, President
David Cohen, Google, CEO
New York, NY USA
Bill Gates, Microsoft, CEO
Chicago, IL USA