As opposed to many general project management positions, the Information Technology, IT project management post requires not only professionalism in project management methods, but also strong technical competencies (knowledge/experience) in the IT field.
A successful IT project manager requires utilizing various project management planning tools, but must also understand the importance of effective teamwork.
This article provides the key interview questions for it manager (project manager and IT technical manager) with suggested answers.
Refer also to the answers article.
IT Project Manager
Job Interview Questions and Answers
Question 1: What are your qualifications as an IT project manager?
Employers will look for candidates who have completed the following coursework, and/or with the following experience:
- PMP Certified or Prince 2 certified Project Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Technology or related field.
- Minimum [x] years of project management or IT Management.
- Minimum [x] years’ experience coordinating and/supporting IT business processes.
Other educational qualification:
As a senior Cisco IT implementation manager you are required to have CCIE (at least W but full CCIE) level with a proven Cisco accreditation in CCNA, CCNP etc. You may also need to show experience on Juniper M and T series.
Depending on the specific job requirements, the above qualifications may change, but this is easily obtained information. Request it before the job interview to ensure you qualify.
You should also present your strong/in-depth knowledge and experience in –
- Cisco/VoIP environment, the LAN/WAN/WLAN network and Firewalls.
- Other products/protocols such as – TDM, NMS, Soft Switches, DSLAM/MSAG.
- IP/MPLS knowledge of installation and configuration of variety of IT Cisco switches/routers using engineering installation documentation.
- Consulting, analyzing, designing and managing IT systems projects.
- Cross-functional project management methodologies and techniques.
- Most importantly, your ability to effectively lead an IT team capable of delivering wide ranging core of LAN/WAN solutions to organizations.
Question 2: Please describe your responsibilities/duties.
As an IT project manager prepare to describe the following types of processes performed within the project lifecycle:
- Defining project requirements, budgeting and planning project schedules utilizing MS project and/or other managerial tools such as BI tools.
- Establishing the appropriate SOW, scope of work, for the project.
- Performing strategic IT analysis for the project.
- Identifying/Assigning resources for project/program implementation based on the project business plan.
- Planning project deliverables, goals and its milestones.
- Preparing RFP, Requests for Proposals, and conducting sub-contractors/vendors selection process.
- How did you demonstrate leadership to define requirements for project risk?
- How did you efficiently solve project issues?
Question 3: Why do think you fit the job of an IT manager? What are your skills?
You can list and describe (examples preferred) the following IT project manager skill sets –
- Strong organizational, presentation, and customer service skills.
- Ability to employ strong project management skills and methodologies such as: prioritization, problem analysis, decisive judgment and ability to solve problems efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management.
- Ability to build effective working relationship with co-workers, team members, clients and colleagues.
- Analytical thinking, planning, accuracy and attention to details.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
To further enhance your presentation,
Read the following articles located at the management skills interview and competency interview categories:
- Senior project manager interview questions and answers.
- IT Interview Questions and Answers.
- Leadership interview.
Complete your preparation by consulting with colleagues and preparing responses and well selected examples. It is not wise to memorize responses, but review and rehearsal will enable you to present professionally.
IT/ Technology Job Interviews