Have you faced such a question before? I bet you would!
It is one of those interview questions that is bound to unnerve you.
However, the question is not really a tough one to answer. At least, it is better than the technical ones that you may face. So, what makes this question so relevant? What does the interviewer mean when he darts the question at you, “are you a detail oriented person?” Is there anything specific that he may be looking for?
Further reading on:
I do understand that there may be tons of questions popping up in your mind right now and it is absolutely essential to touch base on them right away; let’s understand from the start.
Do you have Detail Oriented Skills and Attributes?
There are a few attributes that define a detailed oriented person. Perhaps, the interviewer is specifically looking for these traits in the interviewee under consideration.
Detail oriented: Definition of detail oriented personality
As far as the definition goes, a detail oriented person is an individual who has an eye for details and making a conscious effort to understand the actual cause behind an occurrence happens to be his second nature.
Detail oriented personality has:
- Natural Keenness to dwell upon the topic under consideration and exploring the reasons behind the cause.
- Patience and perseverance for pursuing the problem till the reason has been exposed.
- Pro-activeness to ideate and initiate plans for corrective actions.
Thus, an interviewer is bound to ‘look for’ such traits in an interviewee. If he finds it, he freezes on the candidature.
*Though, it happens to be a natural quality ingrained deep into an individual’s psyche but it can surely be developed. A conscious effort and being exposed to cases that require its utility can make you a ‘detail oriented’ person.
Jobs for Detail Oriented People
As it commonly believed, ‘there is a job for everyone’ so it is true for detail oriented people.
In fact, being detailed oriented is a trait that most of the employers look forward to having in an employee, across industries.
However, some of the most common jobs for detail oriented people are:
- Research oriented: A detail oriented person is appropriate for a job that requires research on an ongoing basis. Scientific and Medical surveys are some of the options to choose from.
- Research and Development, Design and implementation jobs: Medical and scientific design and implementation is yet another field wherein detail oriented persons are required. Medical research, Ideas and innovations in scientific field and in consumer space are key industries where they fit in. Therefore, scientific design and implementation are the most common areas that look for such people.
- Jobs in quantitative research: Detailed oriented skills are needed at places that require quantitative/qualitative research. Marketing is a major avenue – Consumer Behavior and Market research jobs, Government Census Department. Marketing attributes such as Brand building exercises and advertisements, Descriptive analysis of consumer behavior, FMCG market are some of the alternatives.
- Financial Jobs: Stock Market and Financial market.
Detail Oriented Synonym
Another word for detail oriented is attention to detail
This is the most important point to remember while going for an interview. If the job description of the said job mentions ‘attention to detail’, then you better be prepared, for the job REQUIRES a ‘detailed oriented’ candidate!
*Whatever it may be, you should have done your homework well while heading for a ‘detail oriented job’. You should be have researched well about the organizations, its expectations and the specifications of the job. Lastly, you need to pay similar attention to the kind of demeanor expected of you.