So you find yourself looking for a job.
Whether that’s because you’ve been laid off or you’re looking for your first job it’s easy to apply for jobs online. However, before you start you should know how to apply for a job online and how to create the right cover letter to apply for a job. So let’s get started.
Online Job Applications
There are all kinds of sites online where you post a resume or complete a job application. We’ll look at some of these sites in a bit. Some sites require you to register before you can post your resume or build your online employment profile. After you build your profile, you can apply for any of the jobs online. You can even create searches and then have these searches emailed to you. From there you can apply for advertised positions.
How to Apply for a Job Online
On some sites, you will upload your resume with just a click of your mouse. On other sites, you will copy and paste your resume to their resume builder, and still on others, you will have to manually enter the information into their resume builder.
Once your resume is on the site it can be saved there. After that, you can easily apply for positions posted that interest you.
How to Apply for Job Postings on Company Websites
Perhaps you are interested in employment with a specific company. Go to their website and look for the careers link. Follow the instructions they provide on applying for positions.
What’s Needed to Apply Online
Generally, you will be asked to provide your contact information, employment history, and education.
You should also have handy the dates of employment and what you were paid for your previous employers.
Online Employment Tests
Some employment sites and some company sites will require you to take an online employment test.
Sometimes there’s more than one test you are required to take.
Tips for Applying for Jobs Online
More and more employers are turning to online job applications to find the right person for their positions.
So it’s likely that you’ll find yourself applying for a position online sooner rather than later. These tips for applying for jobs online will have you moving to the front of the line.
- Be careful and follow directions entering data in the correct fields.
- Be sure to tailor your application to the position.
- Use keywords to fill specific positions. Many recruiters use keywords to pick out applications from the job database that will be contacted for the interview process.
- Create a skills-inventory.
- Complete all fields even the ones that are optional.
- Having an error free application is key, so grammar check and spell check and prior to submitting your application before submitting it
- Make sure you include a powerful objective.
- Always follow up on an electronic application 5 to 7 days later with an email to the recruiter or a follow up phone call unless otherwise specified.
“Finding a job is like playing chess, someone has to make the first move. Why not be you when you apply for a job online.”