In this fast moving world, one would need to make optimum use of their time to achieve whatever their ambitions are. Few years ago, a person would have only one job and profession and live a comfortable life, if not satisfactory.
This article suggests some decision-making tips to consider before taking 2nd shift job and developing it to be a 2nd career or 2nd shift career.
With the ever growing number of chances and opportunities, it is not completely impossible for one to pursue a second shift job. To pursue a 2nd shift career, all that a person should have is a little bit of time and the will to have a 2nd shift job.
With the advent of four and five day weeks, more time is available. All one should have is the will to start looking for a 2nd shift work.
Due to this, many second shift jobs and 2nd careers are available. In fact, it is all up to the person as to which job on 2nd shift hours he wishes to pursue.
2nd career development: In many cases, this second job turns out to be a second career and then after to a new career change (i.e. switching careers).
Though it is not easy working in two jobs (i.e. full time job and part time job), people nowadays are multitasking. Not to mention people who are squeezing two jobs into one shift – this is ethically questionable and tricky.
Refer to examples of career goals and objectives or to long term career goals.
What is a 2nd shift and what is this employment?
Part time 2nd shift jobs are couple of working hours taken between 2pm and 12pm. Second shift employment is basically a second job that a person takes for number of reasons:
Mostly, the reasons for taking up this second job are either financial, motivation for pursuing a new career or simply because a person has a lot of free time on their hands.
In fact, it might be a combination of these reasons – the second shift job is an amalgamation of the need of an individual to enhance their financial status/condition as well as gain an expertise in the line of business that they are interested in.
Second shift careers: 4 tips for taking up 2nd shift careers
Here are some tips while thinking up of a second shift employment:
1. Keep it Relevant: The second shift career is just that – a part time second shift job that hopefully turns to be a 2nd career. Make sure that you do not take up a stressful job or a job that requires you to enhance your skill-sets in such a fashion that is simply impossible.
Second shift jobs should be more of a convenience and a way to spend your spare time in a productive manner.
2. Stress Free: Make sure that your second shift job is not stressful, or at least not as stressful as your main job is. No amount of money is worth a stressful human body, which would inadvertently fall ill and therefore not be as productive as it is meant to be.
3. Second Shift Hours: Remember that your second shift is a second job and the work timings should be half or at least lesser than the work hours at your first job. Logically speaking, it is only possible for you to take on a second shift job if the work hours are something like two or three hours per day.
4. How to find a Second Shift Employment: Second Shift employment is quite simple to find if you need to. The only aspect that you should keep in mind is that the second job should not interrupt your first shift job. Always keep in mind that you have to give first preference to your first shift career – at least until you decide on taking up a career change.
You might be interested in reading –
• Mid life Career change at 40, career change after 50
• Cover letter for a career change